The Lionel D. Alford Regional Branch Library first opened its doors on April 5, 2003. The branch was dedicated in memory of Lionel D. Alford (1925-2000) for his community vision, involvement and for his outstanding service to the citizens of the community. Mr. Alford, a retired senior vice president at Boeing, chaired the Wichita/Sedgwick County Partnership for Growth, started the Kansas Food Bank, and led the campaign for the Wichita Public Schools bond issue in 2000. The building's design, from the roof to its support beams, was inspired by Mr. Alford's background in the aircraft industry. The children's area is named in honor of Richard Rademacher (1937-2020), Wichita's Director of Libraries from 1976-2000.
The Alford branch is Wichita's largest branch library. It was the first Wichita Public Library location to feature both self-check service and drive-up hold pickup service. Today, it also offers self-service printing.
Stop at 31st and Meridian, then walk south to the library.