Location and Hours
With more than 25,000 volumes, Wichita Public Library's genealogy collection is one of the largest in the region. It is located in the
Wulfmeyer Special Collections Center on the lower level of the
Our collections include:
- Census records on microfilm, related indexes, and some Soundex rolls.
- Family histories
- Books containing indexes to vital records (births, marriages, and deaths), probate records, immigration lists, land records, tax lists, cemetery records, church records, etc.
- State, county, and town histories
- Military histories and pension lists
- Cultural and ethnic group histories
- Materials for genealogical research in the United States only.
- An emphasis on states that have had a heavy emigration to Kansas, especially
New England and Midwestern states.
Kansas Reference Collection contains many books of interest to genealogists. The history and biography sections are the most likely to be helpful to genealogists.
Using the Collections
- Genealogy collection books can be found in
- Microfilm rolls of Kansas newspapers that the library does not own may be interlibrary loaned from the Kansas State Historical Society.
- Through an agreement with FamilySearch, researchers are able to access restricted digital collections not available from home.
- Patrons researching Kansas ancestors should check both the Genealogy Collection and the Kansas Reference Collection.
- Some Genealogy, Kansas Reference or Local History books may not be photocopied due to their age and condition. Ask the librarian for permission to photocopy.
- All Genealogy, Kansas Reference or Local History Collection items are reference materials and do not circulate. Some duplicate items exist in the general circulating collections; check the computer catalog.
- Copies from microfilm or microfiche are $0.25 each.
- The department also has a digital microfilm reader/scanner to scan digital images to formats such as PDF and JPG. You can scan these images which can be saved or emailed for free.
A limited amount of research may be possible via email and mail queries.
Typical research requests include:
- Brief local history information on people, buildings, companies, etc.
- Date and fact verification for Wichita and Kansas history
No census record research is provided by library staff.
A fee of $5.00 per half-hour for research will be charged, with a one-hour limit of research time spent per inquiry. Photocopies are an additional $0.25 each. Customers will be billed regardless of results. Invoices will be sent out with any results found; timely payment is appreciated.
Customers are requested to be as thorough as possible when writing a request; exact dates, names, and other details are almost always necessary to find information. These requests will be filled as staff time is available.
Send email queries to:firstname.lastname@example.org
Send mail queries to:
Wichita Public Library
Attn. Mail Research
223 S. Main St.
Wichita, KS 67202
The library prefers that you include a business-size self-addressed, stamped envelope with your request.