More About Central Library
The current Central Library opened on March 13, 1967. It replaced Wichita's original public library building, a 1915 Carnegie Library across Main Street that had become overcrowded.
With changing needs and technologies, changes came to the building. The Friends of the Wichita Public Library Used Book Store opened in 1991. In 1992, the library's first remotely accessible computer catalog system was installed. Prior to 1993, only staff were allowed to access the building's lower level. A remodeling project completed that year moved the Library's Local History and Genealogy collections downstairs. In summer 1996, private donations allowed the Children's Center to be remodeled and expanded. Internet access came to the Library in 1997. In 2000, a technology training center was added to the first floor.
The Central Library is the largest Wichita Public Library facility, with reference departments specializing in Art, Music, and Video; Business and Technology; and
Genealogy and Local History.
- 24 general use public computers
- 4 public computers plus 2 Early Literacy stations in the Children's Center
- 3 research-only computers in the Genealogy & Special Collections Center
- $1 per page
- Outgoing only
- Local or long distance within the United States